Technology Acceptable Use Policy (TAUP)
PURPOSE: The purpose of the Wayne Community College's TAUP is to enhance and support the educational mission of the college. This policy is subordinate to all applicable laws of the State of North Carolina and the United States of America. All students, faculty, staff and public patrons are responsible for using WCC's technological resources in an effective, ethical and lawful manner. Resources are defined, but not limited to: Internet, web-based applications, e-mail, computers, computer networks and telecommunications, telephones and voice mail, and various multimedia and educational technologies such as PCs, laptops, sympodiums, data projectors, camcorders, VCR and DVD players, digital cameras, instructional television, video microscopes, etc.
POLICY: Our goal is to promote educational excellence for all Wayne Community College students, faculty, staff and patrons by facilitating resource sharing, accessing outside information and research while encouraging technological innovation and global communication. Based on this policy, the following acceptable and unacceptable uses have been approved:
- Use consistent with the Acceptable Use Policies (AUP) for the North Carolina Research and Education Network (NCREN), operated by MCNC.
- Use related to administrative and other support activities considered consistent with the mission of Wayne Community College.
- Use for purposes of, or in support of, education and research.
- Use of WCC's technological resources that violates federal, state and local laws or statues.
- Use of WCC's technological resources which provides or assists in gaining unauthorized or inappropriate access to systems/networks, software or data at WCC and or other sites.
- Use of the Internet for any illegal activity, including violation of copyright or other contracts.
- Use of the Internet for financial or commercial gain.
- Use of the Internet to access, view or download non-educational, obscene or pornographic material.
- Use for activities that interfere with the ability of others to use WCC's technological resources effectively.
- Use for activities that result in the loss of another person's work or unauthorized access to another person's work.
- Use of another person's account/divulging passwords to anyone else.
- Use for access to or distribution of obscene, abusive or threatening messages via electronic mail or other means.
- Use for distribution of chain letters or broadcasting to lists of individuals in such a manner that might cause congestion on the network.
- Tampering with the operation of the college computer systems and components, networks, and wide area networks to which the college subscribes (including the Internet).
- Use inconsistent with the Acceptable Use Policies of NCREN, operated by MCNC.
CONDITIONS: Violations of this policy may be met with a reduction of or complete denial of access to WCC technological resources. Violators will be reported to WCC officials who may take legal action. Action taken by WCC does not preclude the possibility of legal action taken by others.
MODIFICATIONS: WCC reserves the right to modify this policy at any time.